Thursday, April 28, 2011

8 Adults + 7 Kids + 2 Dogs = Drew's "Underground Bunker"

You gotta love the South and the weather it brings you. Before I start this entry about our adventures underground let me first say my heart goes out to all the families in Alabama and Georgia that lost their homes or even worse a loved one by these terrible storms.

The night started pretty calm. We had a game of four square going on in the street and the adults could tell the storm was coming but we didn't talk about it, how would we ever get the kids to sleep? After I put the kids to bed, I watched the news, and watched and watched...I mean it interupted Modern Family so I really had no choice. The first family on the scene was the McNeil Family. They live right next to the lake and they came over in case the storms got worse. I put Regan up in Jack's room watching a movie so she could fall back asleep. Shortly after that the sirens went off and the man on the news said, "Take cover immediately" we grabbed the kids and headed for the basement. Next, the Handley Family came running across the street. I called Nina and The Boynton Family followed. Along with Tammy who I had to yell at from my back door because she was about to open an umbrella to come over! Crazy Tammy!


The storm eventually passed and we lucky that it didn't tear apart our town like it did so many others. The eeriest part is the blue sky and sunshine that followed this morning. To my neighbors, thanks for spending some time in our "Underground Bunker" as always glad you were here!


We had Larry, Jen & Regan McNeil; Barry, Laurie, Taylor and Payton Handley; Chris, Nina, McKenzie & Parker Boynton; Tammy Reeder and the Boys and I all safely tucked away in my basement or as Drew calls it, "The Underground Bunker".
Just waiting watching the news on the laptop


The kids are starting to get tired

“There are two big forces at work, external and internal. We have very little control over external forces such as tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, disasters, illness and pain. What really matters is the internal force. How do I respond to those disasters? Over that I have complete control.”

No comments: